A total of 306 evacuees have arrived Nigeria from United Arab Emirate (UAE). They were conveyed by Air Peace flight and arrived the country at about 8.44am on Wednesday.
The was made known via a tweet by the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM).
“Air Peace flight conveying 306 evacuees arrive Nnamdi Azikiwe Int’l Airport, Abuja at about 0844HRS from UEA, today Wednesday, 5th of August, 2020. Some Evacuees will disembark in Abuja while others will proceed to MM Int’l Airport, Lagos. All Evacuees tested Negative to #COVID19 and will now proceed on a 14 day SELF-ISOLATION as mandated by the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 and Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC),” the tweet read.
Sequel to the Federal Government’s directive that all Secondary schools in Nigeria should resume, on Tuesday, secondary schools reopened for classes almost four months after they closed due to the spread of the coronavirus outbreak.
The final-year students have two weeks to prepare for their exams.
Preventive measures such as wearing of face masks, social distancing and hand-washing facilities are mandatory within all schools, the education ministry has stated.
Nigeria’s Foreign Affairs Minister, Geoffrey Onyeama has tested positive for the deadly coronavirus.
Onyeama, who doubles as a member of a presidential task force on Covid-19 announced in a tweet on Sunday that he would be isolating at a health facility.
‘’Did my fourth Covid-19 test yesterday at the first sign of a throat irritation and unfortunately this time it came back positive. That is life! Win some, lose some. Heading for isolation in a health facility and praying for the best,’’ he said.
The federal government has debunked reports that the N-Power portal had been hacked.
FG in statement disclosed that the portal was not only secured but also that it had not been compromised in any way and that more than one million applications were received from intending N-Power enrollees across the country in less than 48 hours.
The statement read in part: “The Ministry will like to assure Nigerians that the N-Power portal is secured and no data has been compromised,” it said, adding: “The portal is open for Nigerians who meet the application criteria.
Inline with the ongoing N-POWER Batch C online application which commenced Friday, June 26, 2020, the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs Disaster Management and Social Development, hereby announces that over 1,000,000 applications have been received from across the Federation in less than 48 hours after the Honourable Minister, Sadiya Umar Farouq declared open the new N-Power Portal on the Ministry’s website.
The Ministry wishes to reiterate that all young Nigerians between the ages of 18-35 with or without formal education can apply for a slot in the new program which would be very focused on agriculture.
The number of applications so far received is an indication of the number of our youths who need jobs and the confidence in the program.
The Ministry will continue to collaborate with its technical partners to provide timely support to all applicants. “The selection process would be fair and transparent and the public would also be carried along at every stage.”
The Kano police have disclosed the arrest of a man after 40 people were raped in one town over the period of a year.
It was reported that a mother in the northern town Dangora had caught the man in her children’s bedroom. The man ran away but neighbours gave chase and caught him, according to police spokesman Abdullahi Haruna.
On Wednesday, President Muhammadu Buhari in Abuja chaired the maiden virtual meeting of the Federal Executive Council (FEC), where he announced Prof. Ibrahim Gambari as his new Chief of Staff (CoS).
The meeting was held at the Council Chamber of the Presidential Villa. It involved Vice-President, Yemi Osinbajo and the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Boss Mustapha, and some of the cabinet ministers.
The Head of Service, Folashade Yemi-Esan, was also part of the meeting which they attended directly from their respective offices.
The meeting, which started at about 11:22 a.m., occasioned by the prevailing coronavirus pandemic in the country, was conducted in line with the basic COVID-19 protocol of social distancing.
A former Minister of Foreign Affairs, Professor Ibrahim Gambari, whose news of appointment as the new Chief of Staff (CoS) to President Buhari went viral in the traditional and new media outfits, was seen at the meeting’s venue.
one-minute silence was observed in honor of the late Malam Abba Kyari and some former members of the cabinet before the commencement of the meeting, NAN reported.
Employers of labour have been warned by the Federal Government against sacking workers as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr. Chris Ngige, was quoted as giving the warning in his May Day message to Nigerian workers yesterday.
He said: “I wish to state that employers will not be encouraged to disengage staff without prerequisite social dialogue and clearance from the Federal Ministry of Labour and Employment.” Ngige noted that the COVID-19 pandemic had affected the mode of work globally and in the country, adding that the utilization of teleworking was on the increase.
In his message to Nigerian workers, Ngige said, “I call on employees in science, technology and research sectors of the economy to put on your thinking caps and join your colleagues throughout the world and produce a cure and or vaccine for the COVID-19, for testing and other required processes and procedures.”
He noted that other African countries like Madagascar and Senegal had done it.
“We can also do something greater or key into their knowledge to mass produce for the Nigerian populace,” he said.resilience
Femi Adesina, the President Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, disclosed that the person who leaked President Buhari principal’s draft speech hours before his last nationwide broadcast has been caught.
Adesina revealed this in a piece titled ‘Enemies of the State’.
The draft speech was already in circulation Four hours before Buhari’s speech
He said the individual has been traced and is now paying for his evil action.
Adesina wrote: “If the person that leaked the unedited draft of the broadcast had access to more sensitive national documents, he would do the same thing. If he cottons on information that could sell Nigeria to the enemy, he would gladly do it. Thou art in the midst of foes, watch and pray.
Igbo people speak of the proverbial lizard that ruined his own mother’s funeral. That was what the hidden hostile hand did. But he forgot that in these days of technology, almost everything leaves a trail. Before the end of that evening, computer evidence had narrowed down the suspect, and he was already answering for his evil action.”
European Union (EU), Foreign bodies, as well as African and national leaders called and sent several messages of condolences to President Muhammadu Buhari as the remains of his late chief of staff, Mallam Abba Kyari, laid to rest yesterday.
The remains of the deceased were put in the ground at about 11:22am at the military cemetery, Gudu, Abuja, after funeral prayers at the deceased residence.
The officials who interned the late Kyari’s were in full personal protective kits and equipment as mandated by the Federal Ministry of Health to bury coronavirus victims.
As advised by the protocols put in place by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) and the ministry on social distancing, the burial, according to the presidency, marked the end of all ceremonies for the late Kyari.
Presidential spokesman, Mallam Garba Shehu, noted in a statement that there will be no more condolence visits to the Kyari family and the presidency after yesterday’s burial rite.
“Well-wishers and all other Nigerians are instead advised to pray for the repose of the soul of the late Chief of Staff. A condolence register will be opened at the office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) from Sunday for those who are able to use the window permitted for movement by the FCT administration”, Shehu stated.
On Friday, the Headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Abuja was razed by fire.
The affected section was identified as the Election and Party Monitoring Department (EPM). The department was completely burnt by the inferno that started at about 11 am.
However, INEC National Commissioner and Chairman Voters’ Education and Information, Festus Okoye, assured that no critical document was lost in the fire except computers and photocopying machines. Adding that some documents relating to political parties were burnt but the important ones were stored in fireproof cabinets.
“The fire started around 11 am, it was at the Media Centre outside the INEC Headquarters, the Headquarters is intact, there is no cause for alarm. The main documents relating to our monitoring of political parties are still intact, they have been moved out before the fire. What you have here are just correspondences. But we have lost public properties and our working equipment. We are still trying to find out what happened,” Okoye explained.
Controller Braimoh Mommoh, in charge of Federal Fire Service, Abuja Command, after he was called that there was fire at the INEC Headquarters, noted that the level of damage was minimal due to the efforts of the firemen otherwise the whole house would have been razed down.
Mommoh added that investigations are on to reveal the cause of the fire, as well as that critical analysis will be carried out.
Fire has gutted a part of Muda Lawal Market, one of the three major markets in Bauchi metropolis.
Though the cause of the fire was not yet known as at the time of filing this report, efforts are on by men of the State Fire Service, ATBU, Federal Polytechnic and ATAP fire services to put the fire under control.
It is reported that shops and vehicles, which number could not be ascertained, were consumed by the inferno just as goods mostly food items and other stuff worth several millions of Naira were also affected.
The Nigeria Police Special Tactical Squad (STS) has made known the arrest of a a 28-year old female armourer, who was identified as Fatima Garba, and her gang of kidnappers and armed robbers for allegedly attacking people around Sokoto, Kebbi, Kaduna and Niger States.
A statement released by the Force Public Relations Officer, Force Headquarters, Abuja, DCP Frank Mba, explained that, Fatima, as the amourer was responsible for ensuring the safety of the weapons used by the gang whenever it’s not in use.
The Police disclosed that Fatima confessed to being the gang’s armourer for over a year, and claimed to receive a handsome reward each time the weapons were returned to her after each operation. It is said that she usually kept the arms in a neatly dig hole in her compound.
The Police also mentioned that she acknowledged knowing that the arms in her care were used for robberies, kidnapping and other criminal purposes.
“Investigations show that Fatima, who is a trader and single mother of two was recruited by her boyfriend Abubakar Usman. Other members of the gang include: Samaila Usman ‘m’ aged 28, Mohammed Ibrahim ‘m’ aged 30, Mohammed Agali ‘m’ aged 22, Dahiru Bello ‘m’ aged 33, Shamsu Mohammed ‘m’ aged 30, Mohammed Usman ‘m’ aged 37, Umar Abdullahi ‘m’ 33, Buhari Abubakar ‘m’ aged 33 and Abubakar Garba ‘m’ aged 37. Since they began operations, the gang is estimated to have made over twelve million naira from their various criminal escapades. Recovered from the gang are five AK47 rifles, one G3 rifle, one Beretta pistol, 1476 rounds of ammunition, 36 rounds of G3 ammunition, 6 AK47 magazines, one operational vehicle, eight mobile phones and a box containing operational tools. All the suspects will be charged to court at the conclusion of investigations,” the statement read.
On Friday, April 3, twenty seven commercial motorcycle riders who left Nigeria and took illegal routes to Ghana were arrested and paraded by the Ghanaian policemen.
It was discovered that the motorcyclist decided to leave Nigeria after the ban on okada riding in Lagos state and the current lockdown imposed by the Federal Government and Lagos State government.
Local media highlighted that the men were arrested at the border town of Ketu South after they had successfully entered the country through the illegal routes.
When they were questioned, the men revealed that they were okada riders in Nigeria but due to their inability to do their job, they decided to move to Ghana to continue their trade as they were on their way to Aflao in the Volta region to do okada business.
Head of the police in Ketu South, Elliot Agbenorwu, disclosed that the 27 men are currently being questioned and after all necessary interrogations are done, they will be sent back to Nigeria.
There is an indefinite suspension on local council elections by Gov Mohammed Bala due to the outbreak of the coronavirus (COVID-19) in Bauchi State.
Gov Mohammed Bala’s approval was contained in a press release signed by the Executive Chairman of the Bauchi State Independent Electoral Commission (BASIEC).
“I wish to inform you that in view of the reality of the CoronaVirus (Covid-19) pandemic, the state governor, His Excellency, Senator Bala Abdulkadir Mohammad, CON, has approved that the Local Government Elections scheduled to earlier hold in June 2020, is suspended indefinitely,” He Stated.
Gov. Mohammed Bala thanked the public for its continued support.
The United Kingdom has revealed plans to evacuate its nationals wanting to leave Nigeria.
Ms Catriona Laing, the British High Commissioner to Nigeria, disclosed this on Friday. She explained that the decision was as a result of the rapidly changing situation in Africa and recent airport closures over the coronavirus pandemic.
Laing noted that the commission had decided to reduce the number of the High Commission staff and dependents.
She explained that the missions in Abuja and Lagos will continue to be open so as to carry out essential work, including providing 24 hours consular assistance and support to the British nationals in the country.
“Given the rapidly changing situation in the region, the recent airport closures and recognising that it has become more difficult to get out in case of need, we have taken the decision to reduce the number of UK (United Kingdom) staff and dependents from our High Commission,” the statement read.
The finance minister, Zainab Ahmed announced that the federal government will release N6.5 billion to the National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) .
“The fund is an intervention to assist the fight against the spread of COVID-19 in Nigeria,” she said .
She revealed this during a meeting with the leadership of the National Assembly in Abuja on Wednesday.
Ahmed, the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria and other executive officials met with the lawmakers to discuss the planned budget review as well as the effect of the pandemic and recent oil price crash on the nation’s economy.
The meeting was held about a week after the Senate resolved that the review of the 2020 budget was inevitable.
The resolution was sequel to the receipt and deliberation of the interim report of the Senate joint committee on finance, appropriations, national planning and petroleum resources (upstream).
During her presentation, the minister said the federal government had made provisions for health sector interventions by introducing import duty waivers for essential input for pharmaceutical firms; tax waivers on new equipment; and deferment of tax to increase production.
She disclosed that the federal government would be releasing N6.5 billion in two tranches (N1.5 billion and N5 billion) to the NCDC as intervention to assist in the fight against the spread of the COVID-19 disease in Nigeria.
The minister also made known that the Lagos State Government would receive financial support from the federal government to the tune of N10 billion to combat Coronavirus spread in the state.
Nigeria had received a grant of $18.2 million from Japan for strengthening seven NCDC centers across the country and N1 billion would be released by the government to pharmaceutical firms in the country, she added.
The Minister of Health, Dr Osagie Ehanire has accused the Nigeria Medical Association for not helping the nation to fight against coronavirus.
The minister revealed this in Abuja while giving an update on the virus on Monday. He complained that since the outbreak of COVID-19 in the country, the association had not visited him or come up with an idea on how to fight the virus.
He said, “I have not seen what the NMA has done and they have not spoken to me since the whole activity broke out.
They have not asked us what they can do. We will like them to do that and find out how far we are going.
I am a member of the NMA but they have not called to say well done and how can we help you.
Other countries and agencies have asked us. The United Nations invited us to find out what they can do.”