Tag

Lagos

Browsing

Samson Benjamin, the General Overseer of the Resurrection Praise Ministry and Archbishop protested on Sunday in Lagos against the President Muhammadu Buhari-led government.

Benjamin, who is known as Jehovah Sharp Sharp, carried a coffin on his head as he marched through the streets of FESTAC. The Archbishop, who said God asked him to do so, went around and said God wasn’t happy with the government and the state of the nation. He said that his action was the outcome of “a spiritual journey of more than one year”.

He said, “From the 15th of September 2019 up until this moment, I have not eaten food cooked by fire or any pleasant food, I have been seeking the face of God over this great country.”

Last week, I had a mortal vacation, which was a solitary confinement where I didn’t talk to any human to be with the cabinet of the trinity, I didn’t see the sun, moon, clouds. What you are seeing me do here right now is what the Prophets of Old would do. God will ask them to carry a symbol when he wants to pass a message to the leaders of the nation.”

He said to me ‘Go and carry a coffin on your head, it is not furniture or anything for interior decoration, it is good for nothing, it is at the end of the life of a man that he is put into a coffin.”

Benjamin quoted the message he claimed he heard from God: “Tell the leaders that they have intentionally depleted the common resources that belong to this great country and have brought hardship on the citizens, I am not happy with it.”

The clergyman stressed that the way forward for Nigeria is that those in power need to sit and decide if the country should stay together or not.

The Lagos police force has disclosed the arrest of  Kazeem Olanrewaju, a carwash man who allegedly absconded in Lagos with a customer’s Toyota Venza car.

Sources reveal that the owner had left the car at a carwash for washing and went to a barbershop for a haircut. Before he returned, the suspect, who was in possession of the key, had bolted with the car.

It was gathered that the suspect was on his way to neighboring Benin Republic with the car when the Divisional Police Officer, Idiroko division, Shadrach Oriloye on patrol with his men flagged him down on sighting the car without a number plate. The suspect reportedly attempted to escape but was chased and arrested.

He was said to have admitted working with a carwash in Festac town Lagos State and that he ran away with the car and later took off the number plate.

Police spokesman Abimbola Oyeyemi said the case was reported at the Festac town police station, which has also been informed of the recovery of the car.

The suspect will be handed over to the Lagos State Police Command after investigations.

Federation of Tourism Association of Nigeria (FTAN) Coordinator, Lagos State Chapter, Mr.  Gbenga Sunmonu, has said that Lagos state government will on Thursday present cheques to some stakeholders in the tourism, art, and culture sector who have been selected as beneficiaries of its N1 billion intervention fund.

The state government approved the seed capital for investment in tourism, arts, and culture last August. It is part of the intervention fund to cushion the negative effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. Sunmonu, who spoke at a briefing with tourism writers, at the weekend in Lagos, said the presentation would douse the doubts among some stakeholders about the sincerity of the state to cushion the negative impacts of COVID-19 on the sector.

He stated that the presentation of cheques will be done at the opening of the maiden edition of Lagos State Tourism Hospitality, Art and Culture Economic Summit (LATHACE 2021) at Eko Hotel and Suites, Victoria Island Lagos. 

“It will be a transformative channel to clear the trust deficit between the private and public sectors and be a good base to develop plans that will assist the development of industry players. The economic summit will be a practical aspect of what we need to do which the government of the day of Lagos State will be expected to make some policy statements.” 

Olumoko said that other State Chapters of the association will emulate this summit and would enable the various stakeholders to fashion a direction on the way forward for the industry. He urged all concerned stakeholders to endeavour to attend the summit to brainstorm on ways forward for the industry.

On Wednesday morning, many people were feared injured and properties looted after rival cult groups clashed at Ikosi in Ketu, Lagos.

The clash was said to have started on Tuesday night on Ikosi Road, with the factions using guns, cutlasses and bottles without caution. This is happening barely 48 hours after the state government signed into law the 21-year jail term for cultists, members of unlawful society.

It was gathered that the violence was a result of control of territory and revenue generation from the Ketu fruit market. The battle for control of the territory between members of the Aiye and Eiye cult groups has over the years led to deadly clashes in the Ketu and Ikorodu areas of the state.

According to residents, Wednesday’s violence commenced around 6:25 am at Bus Rapid Transport (BRT) park, Ketu Bus Stop as passengers waiting to board buses to work were attacked by armed hoodlums.

The thugs were said to have robbed innocent bystanders including students at knife-point, while others went about setting people’s properties ablaze.

Olaniyi Osoba, a spokesman for the 81 Division, Major told newsmen that soldiers responded to a distress call in Ikosi and assisted in restoring normalcy to the area, adding “till our men left there, there was no report of anyone shot.“

On Wednesday, a section of the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos caught fire.

Newsmen said that the incident occurred at the departure hall of the Kenyan airways at exactly 6:58am. The hall was filled with smoke and this caused panic among the passengers and workers at the airport as it is the  busiest airport in Nigeria.

Firefighters of the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN), however, promptly responded to put off the fire.

The spokesperson for the Lagos Airport Police Command,  Alabi Joseph confirmed the incident. He said “Good morning, please there was a minor fire outbreak near Kenyan airways’ office at International Airport building (MMIA) Lagos. The fire has since been put off by the airport fire service” 

A Lagos mobile court has sentenced a fake soldier identified as Kabiru Mohammed, to six weeks imprisonment for assault and impersonation.

Chairman of the state Environmental and Special Offences (Enforcement) Unit Shola Jejeloye disclosed that Mohammed was arrested on Friday by operatives of the task force after he assaulted their members at the Airport bus stop on Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway.

He explained that the operatives of the agency were coming from a monitoring and enforcement operation with over 150 impounded motorcycles loaded in three trucks when the fake soldier, whose commercial motorcycle was among those impounded, mobilized other miscreants and attacked the team with stones, bottles, and iron rods.

The fake soldier was subsequently arrested after the attack and during investigations at our office, it was discovered that he was an impersonator. The man later confessed to having only claimed to be a soldier in order to retrieve his impounded commercial motorcycle and that he painted his motorcycle with Nigerian Army camouflage to evade arrest from security agents while engaging in commercial activities on restricted routes,” Jejeloye said.

Magistrate Oyebimbola Israel Adelakun, who presided over the matter the same day, sentenced Mohammed, 25, to six weeks in jail with N40,000 as an option of a fine.

On Sunday, Mr Olukayode Popoola, the Federal Controller of Works in Lagos, said the Third Mainland Bridge will no longer be opened on the 15th of February 2021 as announced earlier on but at the end of February.

Babatunde Fashola, the Minister of Works and Housing, had said the Third Mainland Bridge would be reopened by February 15 during his inspection of construction work on major roads and bridges in Lagos State in January.

The minister said that the EndSARS protest brought about the initial extension of the completion date.

Popoola told the News Agency of Nigeria- NAN on the telephone that the bridge would experience one more total closure from February 19 to 21 before completion of the project for the final reopening by the end of February.

In order not to create untold hardship for the motoring public using the Third Mainland Bridge for their daily activities, the contractor is not allowed to close the Third Mainland Bridge during the week to cast concrete.

The Federal Ministry of Works and Housing regrets the inconveniences the extra days may have caused the Lagosians.

The Lagos government has expressed fears that the state might record up to 39,000 cases of Covid-19 in the state. Commissioner for Health, Prof. Akin Abayomi, made this known while briefing journalists at the Secretariat, Alausa, Ikeja on Thursday afternoon.

Although he mentioned that this may be the worst scenario analysis, however, it could be limited to 13,000 if everyone practices the measures directed by the government. He also mentioned that the figures were small as compared to outbreaks around the globe.

“Our mathematical modelling shows that the worst-case scenario is that we may see up to 39,000 cases in Lagos, but if everyone practices good social distancing, the figure will be limited to 13,000.

If we add social distancing to active contact tracing, then we will be able to bend the curve further.

The figures may seem alarming at this point, but this is just to emphasize to the Lagos community to follow instructions of the incident commander to make sure that we practice social distancing and other preventive measures.

Looking at the same time frame from the introduction of the index case, you can see that Lagos State is not seen anywhere near what Spain, Italy and Iran are showing.

So, at week two and three of our index case, we are flat and at week four, we have 37 cases; while at the same fourth week, Italy, Iran and Spain had more than 20,000 cases.

So, we are doing something right in the state,” Abayomi stated.

The Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Gbenga Omotoso, said in a statement on Wednesday that contrary to news reports that Lagos was on lockdown, the lagos state government has not given directive for a total lockdown but has only applied measure to curb the spread of coronavirus 

Omotoso said following Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu’s update on the steps taken to curtail the spread of coronavirus. The impression created by some  reports was erroneous, saying Lagos was not on lockdown, in spite of the stringent measures introduced by the government.

He said that the governor only urged the private sector establishments to introduce measures that would support the government’s efforts at curtailing the spread of COVID-19.

According to him, Gov. Sanwo-Olu suggested that banks should enhance their online banking services to enable their customers to have transactions without visiting banking halls.

All markets that are not selling foods, pharmaceutical products, water, medical equipment and other essential materials are to close down. Workers providing essential services- Fire Service, Emergency, health, water, telecommunication, security, media and others- are exempted from this directive.

The initiatives being introduced by the government are to prevent any situation where more than 25 persons will gather in the same place at any time.

The commissioner said the Sanwo-Olu-led administration is concerned about the rising number of COVID-19 cases, hence, it is adopting measures to keep residents safe. 

He further said that the government would continue to appraise the situation, consult various stakeholders and make further announcements to check the spread of this lethal disease.

He urged residents to observe simple hygiene measures, such as washing of hands with soap and water, covering their mouths while sneezing or coughing.

The commissioner said that residents should consult a doctor when feeling ill and anyone feeling unwell should stay indoors. Omotoso urged residents to remain observant, prayerful and report all suspected cases of COVID-19 through the emergency hotlines– 08000CORONA, 08023169485, 08033535529 and 08052817243.

The Lagos State Government has assured that the replacement for banned motorcycles (okada) and tricycles (Keke) would be made available across the state in April.

Gbenga Omotoso, the Commissioner for Information and Strategy, said this while addressing State House Correspondents after the Security Council Meeting on Wednesday at State House, Marina.

Omotoso said the government would be rolling out 14-Seater and 18-Seater buses that would convey residents to their different destinations.

Omotoso added that “the State Government would be assuaging the pain being felt by residents by injecting buses of different sizes and capacities into the public transportation space to serve as an alternative to Okada and Keke.We are using this opportunity to inform Lagosians that the palliatives promised by the Government will be coming very soon, most likely in April.

Around April, some of these vehicles – 14-Seater, 18-Seater buses – are going to come in.” he said

179 pupils in Lagos from 19 senior secondary schools under the Agboju Education District have been presented the Duke of Edinburgh Bronze Award by the International Award for Young People in Nigeria (IAYPN).

The presentation commenced at the Awori Ajeromi Senior Grammar School in Ajeromi-Ifelodun Local Government Area.

The selected students successfully completed the award requirements which involves; emotional, intellectual, physical, spiritual and social development program, such as; skill learning, social services engagement, physical/sporting activities and adventurous journeys.

Oshoke Bello, the IAYPN National Director, praised the pupils for being dedicated to the program.

“The award provides you with a global framework for non-formal education and learning, which challenges young people to dream big, celebrate their achievements and make a difference in their world. Through developing transferable skills, increasing their fitness levels, cultivating a sense of adventure and volunteering in their community, the award helps young people to find their purpose, passion and place in the world,’’ he stated. 

The participating schools are: Ajeromi Ifelodun Senior Secondary School, Adeolu Senior Secondary School, Mokoya Senior Secondary School, Expressway Senior High School, Ojoku Senior High School, Ojo Senior Secondary School, Newland Senior Secondary School, Navy Town Senior Secondary School, Community Senior Secondary School, Kuje Senior Secondary School, Lagos State Senior Model College, Creek Senior Secondary School, Alakoto Senior Secondary School, Agboju Senior High School, Army Cantonment Girls, Awori Ajeromi Senior Grammar School, Amuwo Senior High School, Army Cantonment Boys Senior Secondary School and Reservation Senior Secondary School.

The Federal Government has made it known that it would demolish more structures to create more room for the ongoing reconstruction of the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.

Funso Adebiyi, the Director of Highways, South West, Federal Ministry of Works and Housing, said this on Tuesday during a tour of the roads including the Ikorodu-Sagamu Road and Apapa-Oshodi-Oworonshoki expressways

Adebiyi made it known that the reconstruction of the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway has been redesigned to include interchanges and flyovers hence the need for demolition of structures and building along some axis of the roads for the new development 

He stated that some building have been marked but some other structures would go down so as to make room for the new development.


On Sunday, the Lagos State Government said full implementation of the cashless policy at the Lekki/Ikoyi Bridge Toll Plaza would commence on Monday, January 20th.

 Dr Frederic Oladeinde, the state Commissioner for Transportation, in a statement by the Public Affairs Unit of the Ministry, said that full implementation of the policy had become necessary. He said the cashless toll initiative had the objective of impacting positively the “reduction of traffic queue length and journey time for Lagosians.”

Oladeinde urged those who are yet to obtain their e-tags to do so as full compliance is being enforced, since the additional two weeks grace for motorists to align had elapsed. He praised the general public for their cooperation and compliance during the implementation period.

Mr Yomi Omomuwasan, the Managing Director, Lekki Concession Company Ltd., also highlighted fIve seamless ways by which people could make their e-payments. The methods include: Interswitch Quickteller Payout, Unified Payment, One Card Direct Top Up, Capricorn Digital And GT Bank’s Simple Pay.

Omomuwasan said that these included e-tag, the vouchers system, the e-card and the LCC Mobile App for top-up. He promised that the company would work round the clock to ensure the success of the new policy. (NAN)

On Thursday 9th of January, 2020, South-West governors launch new security outfit,  Amotekun for the region in Ibadan, Oyo state.

The movement, operation Amotekun was discussed in June at a summit convened by the Development Agenda for Western Nigeria (DAWN) where the governors agreed to set it up.

Following the reports of kidnap, and rise in isecurity, governors of Lagos, Oyo, Ondo, Ekiti, Ogun, and Osun have come up with a solution to help curb insecurity. 

South West Governors at Launch of Operation Amoteku

Three out of Six of the governors were absent from the launch ceremony. The governors who were absent include Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State; Dapo Abiodun of Ogun State and Gboyega Oyetola of Osun State. However, Abiodun and Oyetola were represented by their deputies. Lagos state was not represented at the launch.

When asked about his absence to the launch, Sanwo-Olu responded by saying, “ Bad weather prevented me from attending the event”.