On Monday, President Muhammadu Buhari met with the leaders of the National Assembly in the State House, Abuja to discuss raising a Supplementary Budget to fund COVID-19 vaccination and acquisition of more military equipment.
Senate President Ahmad Lawan and the Speaker of the House of Representatives Femi Gbajabiamila revealed some of the details of the meeting to State House Correspondents. Senator Lawan said they discussed issues of serious national concern and one of those issues is the issue of the supplementary budget.
“Today, I’m sure in Nigeria, there are no more grave issues, than COVID-19 and the security situation in the country. And I want to take this opportunity to say that the security situation is gradually improving. And I’m sure that when we give more resources to our security agencies, we will see an even faster recovery of our situation.
He said the U.S, UK, and India are not allowing the vaccines they produced to be exported out of the country. So, Nigerians have nowhere do we go from here, than to produce our own vaccines.
On security, the Senate President said though funds had been previously provided for the purchase of military equipment, more is required.
He said“We still need to approve more resources for the purchase of weapons for our Armed Forces, because this is the number one priority of government or any government really, to secure the people and of course, later the welfare.
Gbajabiamila said that the new service chiefs have started well since the changes were made by President Buhari.
The South Sudan authorities have postponed the launch of its Covid-19 vaccination campaign but did not offer a specific reason for the delay.
Recall that the vaccination program was supposed to start on Monday in the capital of Juba according to the health ministry last week.
Government official John Romunu stated that the vaccination exercise was postponed for simple logistical reasons. Adding that they are yet to receive information on when the vaccinations will take place.
South Sudan received its first batch of 132,000 doses of the vaccine on 26 March.
Burundi’s health minister, Dr Thadee Ndikumana has disclosed that the country will wait for more research to establish the efficacy of Covid-19 vaccines before administering them.
Ndikumana stated that the country was not against vaccines but there was no certainty on their possible side effects.
“Looking at the rate of people who recover from the disease, we have chosen to wait,” he said.
While adding that 96% of people who catch the virus recover from it.
However, the minister defended the government against allegations that the rate of infections could be higher, saying it was based on the number of people who had been diagnosed and tested positive by official health facilities.
The former Kogi West Senator, Dino Melaye has requested that the state government receive the COVID-19 vaccines being distributed to states by the Federal Government.
Melayen request to know why the State government decided to push aside the COVID-19 vaccines.
In a tweet, the former lawmaker wrote: “The Kogi Government collected COVID-19 money and palliative from the Federal Government and still has the guts to say no COVID-19 in Kogi State. Since you collected money and palliative, una must collect vaccines too. Oyinara.”
The National Health Care Development Agency, NPHCDA, had left out Kogi State from the distribution of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines.
NPHCDA had explained that the State was left out of the arrangement due to lack of a cold-chain store in the State for the vaccines.
The Rwanda government has announced the arrival of its first batch of Covid-19 vaccine doses from the UN-backed Covax distribution initiative which it will use to immunise people identified as priority risk groups.
The health authority say the country received 240,000 doses of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine, with 102,960 doses of Pfizer vaccine expected to arrive later in the day.
The ministry said doses of the two vaccines would be used to immunise a total of 171,480 starting from Friday.
Rwanda expects to receive the total of 1,098,960 doses of both the AstraZeneca and Pfizer vaccines.
Our target is to vaccinate 30% of our population by the end of 2021, and 60% by the end of 2022,” Health Minister Daniel Ngamije said.
The Nigerian health authority has disclosed that it has recorded its lowest daily figure of new coronavirus infections in about six months with the 240 new cases that were reported on Sunday.
This indicated a marginal decrease from the 341 new cases recorded on Saturday, brings the total number of infections in the country to 155,657, according to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).
World Health Organisation’s (WHO) country representative, Walter Mulomo stated that with the low number of new daily cases recorded in the past week, Nigeria’s response effort against the disease may have started paying off.
The death toll has also reduced drastically. Nigeria on Sunday recorded two deaths, the lowest daily fatality in over six months.
The figure is lower than the three deaths recorded in the previous 24-hour cycle.
The Ondo state government on Tuesday rejected the total figures of COVID-19 cases in the state released by the Nigeria Centre For Disease Control (NCDC).
The Ondo state government represented by the Acting Commissioner for Health, Jibayo Adeyeye, in Akure said “The NCDC report created an impression that the state was now the most severely affected state in the country. This is far from the truth.”
He said “The current situation report with regards to COVID-19 in the state includes 18,443 as total number of samples collected since inception, 2,491 confirmed cases, 2,395 recovery cases
The total number of deaths from COVID-19 is 54; case of fatality rate goes to 2.2 per cent and current test positivity rate is 20 percent
Though the government is concerned about the rate of infection in the state, the data indicates that the state is clearly not the most affected in the country” he said.
He urged the people to adhere to all laid down COVID-19 safety rules.
The Director-General of Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, Dr. Chikwe Ihekweazu, has revealed that Nigeria may experience a second wave of Covid-19 pandemic.
He made this known at the media briefing with reporters organized by the National Youth Service Corps on Monday.
Ihekweazu said the country must continue to abide by the protocols and guidelines developed to avoid a second wave of the virus. Warning that the virus was still around and more dangerous despite the drop in recorded cases.
The Lagos State Government has confirmed COVID-19 cases in a secondary boarding school on the mainland.
This was made known according to a report by Commissioner for Health, Prof. Akin Abayomi on Friday night, after a member of the school’s staff tested positive for COVID-19 on November 2.
Contact tracing has revealed that a student and four contacts of the staff member are positive for COVID-19. The staff member fell ill for a few days and received first aid at the school clinic. She subsequently tested positive for COVID-19 on Monday 2nd of November at the Lagos State Biobank. The Lagos State COVID-19 Incident Command System through the Emergency Operation Centre is investigating the incident, and we would like to assure members of the public and stakeholders of the school that the situation is completely under control. All parents are being contacted first through the PTA and a family zoom call is being arranged to further allay their fears. It is important to note that COVID-19 presents with very mild symptoms in children and teenagers, compared to other age groups. However, there is the risk of infected children transmitting the disease to adults who they interact with daily, and who may be at higher risk of severe disease and death. The school authorities, supported by Lagos State Ministry of Health (LSMOH), Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), and the Ministry of Education, are following the COVID-19 guidelines as set out by the government. Students who test positive are to be isolated in the school premises and, if unwell, will be admitted to one of the accredited isolation centers in Lagos. Students are discouraged from going home to avoid infecting members of their families,” he stated.
As a result of non-adherence to safety protocols against the spread of COVID-19 in Anambra state, the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) made it known on Sunday that it impounded 8,345 commercial buses in the state.
The Sector Commander, Mr. Andrew Kumapayi, stated that in Awka about 962 rickety trucks were also impounded between January and August.
Adding that the arrests were made during the joint operations of the FRSC and the Anambra State Ministry of Transport.
Recall that following the lifting of the ban on interstate travels by the Federal Government, commercial transport operators were urged to adhere strictly to COVID-19 safety protocols to curb the spread of the disease.
Geofrey Onyeama, Nigeria’s Foreign Affairs Minister has disclosed that he has recovered from coronavirus after three-week of isolation.
He made this known via a tweet on Wednesday morning.
“By the very special grace of God my latest #COVID19 test result came back NEGATIVE after three weeks isolation. I am eternally grateful to my family, the C-in-C and VP, the medical team, relations, friends, colleagues, religious leaders and numerous well-wishers, who through their care, prayers, fasting, messages of support and encouragement never let me walk alone,” the tweet read.
Governor of Ekiti State, Kayode Fayemi, has disclosed via a tweet on his official Twitter handle that he has recovered from Coronavirus after testing negative for the disease.
“After 11 days in isolation, I received news that my COVID-19 repeat test came back negative. My sincere gratitude goes to God Almighty, my family, my medical team, and all well-wishers for the prayers and solidarity. We must continue to do all we can to tackle the pandemic.”