South Africa’s President Cyril Ramaphosa has announced during a televised broadcast that restrictions put in place to control the spread of coronavirus will be lowered to alert level one, from level three.
He stated that restrictions put in place over the holiday period had succeeded in reducing infection levels; from 90,000 a week at the end of December, to 10,000 new infections last week.
This means that most remaining restrictions on economic activity will be lifted.
President Ramaphosa explained that all energy and effort must now go into growing the economy, whilst exercising extreme caution to prevent further spread of the virus. While adding that the threat of a third wave is constantly present, as is the threat of new variants emerging.
He also said social distancing, avoiding crowds, and wearing masks, are more important than ever.
15,299 new coronavirus cases have been recorded in 24 hours in Florida. This number of cases makes a quarter of all of the United States’ daily infections.
The state, with just 7% of the US population, surpassed the previous daily record held by California.
Florida also registered an additional 45 deaths.
The state would rank fourth in the world for new cases if it were a country, according to a Reuters analysis. More than 40 hospitals in Florida say their intensive care facilities are at full capacity.
India confirmed 6,000 new cases of the novel coronavirus on Friday, the country’s biggest jump in 24 hours, as New Delhi eases a nationwide lockdown and airlines prepare to resume some domestic flights.
The country reported a total of over 118,000 confirmed cases on Friday, a roughly 5% increase from Thursday’s figures. Included in the total are 3,583 deaths.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has extended a lockdown, begun on March 25, to May 31, but relaxed rules in areas with lower numbers of cases and allowed state governments to issue their own guidelines on some matters.
A mandatory order of wearing masks to whenever citizen are outside has been announced by Qatar’s interior ministry on Thursday. The order is to take effect on Sunday and those who do not comply will be fined up to 200,000 riyals ($53,000).
Violators could also be jailed up to three years, or either of those punishments, according to a statement on the ministry’s Twitter account.
The statement added that the only exception will be if the person is alone driving in a vehicle.
Qatar reported 1,733 new coronavirus cases in the last 24 hours for a total of 28,272 cases and a total of 14 deaths.
Obafemi Adebayo Olorunfemi, a citizen Nigeria, has died of coronavirus in Brazil, He reportedly died after 12 days on ventilator support. It is said that late olorunfemi left behind a widow and two kids
According to a sensitisation video posted on Twitter an 88-second video of female twins, who introduced themselves as Taiwo and Kehinde, said the late Olorunfemi was their cousin.
The duo said they have been living in Brazil for 15 years and they were heartbroken by the death of their cousin.
We are here to dedicate this video to our dear cousin who lost his life to coronavirus. His name was Obafemi Adebayo Olorunfemi. He was a good guy and he left behind his wife and two kids. He was on the ventilator for 12 days and he died. We are here to alert everybody both Nigerians in Diaspora to please stay safe, maintain social distancing because it is easier to get into the routine and say that the other person also has coronavirus and if I get it, I am young and strong and I will be fine. But it is not about us being young and strong. We blame the President, blame everybody but the responsibility still lies on us. Please maintain social distancing if you have to go outside, wash your hands all the time. Use your face masks. Use gloves if you can. And once you come inside and return home, just try as much as possible to disinfect yourself at all times because it (coronavirus) is real. People don’t have to die before we value life. Our cousin is gone now and we wish we could bring him back,” They said.
25 more coronavirus deaths and 264 additional infections have been reported by the Philippines Health Ministry on Tuesday.
The ministry said total deaths had reached 751 while confirmed cases have risen to 11,350. But 107 more patients have recovered, bringing total recoveries to 2,106.
An extension of lockdown measures in the capital to June has been announced by President Rodrigo Duterte on Tuesday making it among the world’s longest community quarantines to try to contain the coronavirus outbreak.
On Tuesday, Thailand reported seven more coronavirus cases and two new deaths, bringing the total number of infections since the outbreak began in January to 2,938 cases and 54 fatalities.
Among the new cases, five were linked to previous cases, one had no known links to old cases and another is under investigation, said Taweesin Wisanuyothin, a spokesman for the government’s Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration.
Since the outbreak began, 2,652 patients have recovered and gone home.
New Zealand Prime Minister, Jacinda Ardern said Monday that the country has won the battle against widespread community transmission of the coronavirus, for now.
The country is also dropping from Alert Level Four to Alert Level Three, as the number of new coronavirus cases continue to remain low.
Over the past several days, new cases of coronavirus in the country have been in the single digits, Ardern said in a press conference Monday
She called the numbers incredible, crediting the low amount of cases to the sacrifices that every single New Zealander has made.
Ardern explained that to fully succeed in the fight against the coronavirus, the country must hunt down the remaining cases of the virus — but that it has won the battle against more widespread community transmission.
“There is no widespread, undetected community transmission in New Zealand. We have won that battle, but we must remain vigilant if we are to keep it that way.” said Ardern.
On Sunday, reports revealed that 288 people have died in the last 24 hours from the coronavirus, which is the lowest daily death toll since March 20.
“For the first time in a long time, we are below 300,” said Fernando Simon, the health ministry’s emergencies coordinator.
Sunday’s death toll was a steep drop from the 378 deaths recorded Saturday, BBC News reports.
Spain has the third-highest death toll of any country, behind the U.S. and Italy, with more than 23,000 people having died of the coronavirus
Children in Spain were seen outside for the first time in six weeks, when the lockdown began. They are able to leave the house for an hour between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m., but they cannot go more than a kilometer (about 0.6 miles) from their home.
On Sunday, Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte announced that Italy will allow factories and building sites to re-open from May 4 before allowing more businesses to open in following weeks as it prepares a staged end to Europe’s longest coronavirus lockdown.
More than two months after the first case of COVID-19 appeared in a small town outside Milan and following weeks of lockdown, Italy is looking ahead to a second phase of the crisis in which it will attempt to restart the economy without triggering a second wave of the disease.
Conte said as he outlined the roadmap to restarting activities put into hibernation “We expect a very complex challenge,We will live with the virus and we will have to adopt every precaution possible.”
It has been announced that Kenyans wanting to return home from China will be able to do so next Friday. Although they will have to buy their own tickets which costs $750.
The Kenya Airways flight is scheduled to leave on 1 May from Guangzhou, the city which has become a community for Africans in China.
Recall that earlier this month, community leaders there disclosed that a major chunk of the city’s African population were forced into quarantine or were sleeping on the streets. Many of them said they faced discrimination amid fears that they were infected with coronavirus.
However, Kenya’s ambassador to China, Sarah Serem, reacted to the outrage on social media about the government’s handling of the affair. Denying that the embassy had ignored the plight of Kenyans in Guangzhou and said alternative accommodation had been arranged for those who needed it.
Illinois Department of Public Health Director Dr. Ngozi Ezike, disclosed that Illinois has recorded 2,724 new cases of Covid-19 in the past 24 hours, the highest number of new cases in a single day.
This brings the total state count to 39,658 cases, Ezike said at a news conference Friday.
“Yesterday we also saw the greatest number of test results that were reported in a 24 hour period, with over 16,000 specimens. Obviously when you test more people, you are going to find more cases,” Ezike said.
There were 4,828 people hospitalized and 25% of those patients were in intensive care, according to Ezike
Ezike also announced 108 new Covid-19-related deaths, bringing the state total to 1,795.
In a press release Friday, the event organizer of The 2020 California State Fair and Food Festival has cancelled the event because of the coronavirus pandemic.
This year’s event, which was scheduled for July 17-August 2 at Cal Expo in Sacramento, would have been the 166th year of the award-winning fair.
This is the first time the annual California State Fair has been canceled since WWII, Cal Expo said.
“It’s clear the impact of Covid-19 will continue to be felt for the foreseeable future and that large gatherings should be postponed at this time,” Cal Expo general manager and CEO Rick Pickering said in a statement. “Cancelling this summer’s California State Fair is the right thing to do, and is in line with the measured, scientific approach that’s been implemented by the governor and health officials to fight Covid-19.
More than 700,000 people were expected to attend this year’s event, according to Cal Expo Deputy General Manager Margaret Mohr. The cancelation of the fair has a huge economic impact on Cal Expo and the region”, she added
Cal Expo hires over 800 seasonal employees for the event each year.
The venue for the event currently serves as a drive-thru coronavirus testing site, as well as a temporary emergency isolation trailer facility for the homeless population, according to the press release.
“California Exposition and State Fair is a proud member of the statewide community and we will continue to do our part to combat COVID-19,” Pickering said.