The Rwandan police on Thursday arrested four people who had escaped from a COVID-19 treatment center in Eastern province.
The Ngoma district police in a statement said that the patients who contracted the disease and were receiving treatment at the center set up at a secondary school in Ngoma district escaped on Wednesday evening after breaking iron window bars.
According to the statement, it took the efforts of Security officers and local leaders to locate their whereabouts and arrest them following a tip-off from people who saw them.
It also stated that Security officers and medics are tracing their likely contacts, including their families, according to the statement.
The police, however, urged those who could have had contact with the quartet to come forward for tests and due treatment to prevent the spread of the pandemic.
NAN reports that Rwanda on Thursday reported 16 new cases and 13 recoveries, bringing the total confirmed cases to 1,210 and total recoveries to 623.
On Monday, Rwanda authorities reported 101 new confirmed COVID-19 cases over the past 24 hours, the single-day record increase of more than 100 cases in the country.
The new cases brought the total number of cases in the country to 1,001.
Seventy-two new cases were from a cluster in a detention center in Ngoma district in eastern Rwanda, 22 cases were reported in the capital city Kigali, three in the district of Rusizi, and two in Rubavu.
The Kayonza and Kirehe districts in the east each had one case.
The East African Country has recorded its first death and 11 new cases of the novel coronavirus infection on the 31st of May.
The Health minister disclosed this while speaking with the state broadcaster. He added that the country will have to reverse a June 1 plan to further ease coronavirus infection, a move that is linked to the country’s first recorded death from the virus.
The victim was a 65-year-old Rwandan lorry driver who became sick while in Benako in Tanzania. He returned to Rwanda on 28 May in a critical condition, according to local media.
However, Intra-province travel, including in and out of capital Kigali, was supposed to resume on June 1 after over two months’ disruption. Reports say motorcycle taxi operators, estimated to number about 50,000, were also set to return to the roads.
After reassessment, transportation between provinces and the City of Kigali, as well as passenger motor services, will remain closed until further notice in the interest of public health.
Further Covid-19 measures will be announced by Cabinet on Tuesday 2 June,” a tweet from the Rwandan Prime Minister’s office read.
Rwanda was among the first countries on the continent to impose a strict lockdown in the early days of the virus’ arrival. So far it has 370 confirmed cases, with 256 recoveries and one death, according to tallies from the John Hopkins University COVID-19 portal.
As the number of confirmed cases climbed from 17 to 82 in two weeks during Rwanda’s lockdown, the government in Rwanda has extended rigid lockdown restrictions that were imposed last month to April 19.
The lockdown which was to end this weekend was extended during a virtual cabinet meeting held by President Kagame, on Wednesday.
It is said that during the extended lockdown, the borders will remain closed and only the entry of Rwandan citizens will be allowed. Goods will also continue to be allowed into the country.
Shops, schools and places of worship will still remain closed and employees will continue working from home.