Tag

Covid 19 in Nigeria

Browsing

The Acting Secretary of Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Health and Human Services Secretariat, Dr Mohammed Kawu, has been discharged from Asokoro District Hospital, Abuja, where he was receiving treatment for COVID-19.

Kawu spoke in a statement in Abuja yesterday after he was discharged.

He and some of his relations was said to have contracted the disease about two weeks ago.

“I developed a chest infection, so I had to be on anti-biotics for some days. But thank God, I and members of my family do not have the symptoms again and we have been discharged from the isolation Centre,” he explained.

Adding that the final tests conducted on them returned negative.

Nigeria Medical Association (NMA), Kwara branch disclosed that 35 doctors have so far tested positive for COVID-19 in the state.

Kolade Solagberu, the state NMA chairman, who spoke to journalists on Monday, however, noted that the association has not recorded any casualty among its members.

He cautioned residents to disregard the belief that COVID-19 is not real and that it is a money-making venture for the government.

Solagberu also implore people to make use of e-health services and avoid visiting hospitals during this period,  unless it is a “life-threatening” case.

“Residents should help the doctors to help them by not paying unnecessary visits or consultations to hospitals.

For now, people should avoid visiting the hospital except for life-threatening issues.

We advise people to engage in e-health services instead of physical consultation to avoid contact as much as possible.

People should stop unnecessary visits to patients in the hospital. Those who follow a patient waiting to be attended to, are not encouraged for now.

You should just help us to help you because the less the number of patients we attend to, the less the chances of spreading the virus. This is because every patient is a potential COVID-19 case,” he said.

Solagberu  praised the federal and state governments for the continued closure of schools, adding that safety should be paramount until the coast is clear.

The Lagos State Ministry of Health has confirmed that 56 more COVID-19 patients in Lagos State were discharged on Sunday.

It noted that the patients were discharged after testing negative to coronavirus.

While giving a breakdown of the discharged persons, the Ministry noted that they comprised 12 females and 44 males, including 9 foreign nationals.

“The patients; 25 from Gbagada, 5 from Agidingbi, 3 from Onikan, 8 from Eti-Osa (LandMark) and 15 from LUTH Isolation Centres were discharged after full recovery and testing negative to COVID-19.

This brings to 1,897, the number of COVID-19 cases that have been successfully managed and discharged from Lagos Isolation Centres,” the Ministry tweeted on its official handle

Workers in the Edo state COVID-19 response team on Tuesday protested against the termination of their appointment by the State Government as well as the non-payment of their two months allowance.

The protesters blocked the entrance gate to the office of the Hospital Management Board, HMB, in Benin City, the state capital.

One of the leaders of the protesters, Ojeme Emmanuel said some of them have only collected staggered days stipends for the number of days worked for in the month of April. He said none of the workers has collected the full month as earlier promised by the state government representatives.

‘Bros they agreed to pay us 3,000 per day which amounts to #90,000 per month but none of us here have ever received such an amount of money as stipends. What we have in Edo as a government is a funny one, you can imagine a government that does not want to pay those who worked for them. We had over four of our colleagues right inside the isolation centre. The COVID-19 response team faced a lot of dangers. The government said they have spent over one billion naira on COVID-19 but are unable to pay those that actually did the job”.

When contacted, the State Commissioner for Health Dr Patrick Okundia said he would have to meet the Deputy Governor of the state and the representative of the team before he can respond.

13 new COVID-19 cases have been confirmed in kwara state, bringing the total number of infections in the state to 235.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the state also recorded five deaths while 131 patients were discharged.

Mr Rafiu Ajakaye, Chief Press Secretary to the Governor and spokesman for the State Technical Committee on COVID-19, made this known in a statement in Ilorin on Tuesday.

“With this, the state now has a total of 235 confirmed cases, out of which 99 are active and 131 have recovered and have been discharged with five deaths,” he said.

Bauchi State Deputy Governor, Baba Tela, who had tested positive for coronavirus about a week ago, has tested negative for the virus and was discharged. 

This was made known by the Executive Chairman, Bauchi State Primary Healthcare Development Agency (BASPHCDA), Rilwanu Mohammed in a press briefing. 

The deputy governor of Bauchi State, nine days ago was in isolation because he was infected. However, we thank God that after another test, he is now negative and he has been discharged,” Mohammed said

Three out of the 21 commissioners in Gombe State, one special adviser and five members of the State House of Assembly have tested positive for COVID-19.

The tests were conducted on the directive of the state governor last week.

The confirmation was made known by the Gombe State commissioner of information, Hon Alhassan Ibrahim Kwami during a press briefing held on Tuesday.

The Governor of Abia State, Okezie Ikpeazu, has tested positive for COVID-19.

This was made known by the commissioner for information, John Kalu, in a statement on Monday.

Recall that on Saturday, 30th May, 2020, Governor Okezie Ikpeazu volunteered his sample for COVID-19 test and subsequently directed members of the state Executive Council (EXCO) and those of the inter ministerial committee on COVID-19 to submit themselves for the same test. On Tuesday, 2nd June, 2020. The result of Governor Ikpeazu’s test returned negative. On Thursday, 4th June, 2020, the Governor submitted another sample at NCDC laboratory for confirmation and the result returned positive. As a result, Governor Okezie Ikpeazu has gone into isolation, as required by relevant NCDC protocols, and he is being managed by a competent team of medical practitioners with a view to nursing him back to good health. Consequent on the above, the Governor has directed his Deputy, Rt Hon Ude Oko Chukwu, to act on his behalf pending his full resumption of duties. We wish to urge all Abians to take the fight against COVID-19 serious as the disease is real but not a death sentence. Our state has the resources to manage patients back to good health,” the statement read.

The Chairman of Zamfara State COVID-19 Taskforce, who is also the Speaker of the state Assembly, Alhaji Nasiru Magarya, said that the state had not recorded any new case of coronavirus in the last 14 days

A statement issued by the Secretary, Publicity Sub Committee of State COVID-19 Taskforce,  Malam Mustafa Jafaru-Kaura, said Magarya made the disclosure in Gusau when he received the donation of 36,000 pieces of handwashing soap donated by Sightsavers International.

This is a welcome development, considering the collective efforts from stakeholders who have contributed in fighting the menace.

I am using this medium to state that as of yesterday, Monday the state marked 14 days without new COVID-19 case. “The two COVID-19 isolation centres established by the state government remained closed”, Magarya said.

The Senator representing Borno South in the National Assembly, Ali Ndume has called for a slash of the salary of civil servants who no longer go to work due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

This was disclosed by Ndume during a media briefing in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital on Monday.

He said “The government should critically look at the recurrent and personnel expenditure which consumes about 70% of the budget.

More should be pumped into Capital and people should make sacrifices because this is the time to look at issues critically.

I think there should be more sacrifice, especially on the personnel side.

How can you sustain the same personnel and overhead cost when even the work they are doing, most people don’t go to the office now and they are being paid fully for the month. Is there any justification for that?”

If you can’t work because of the pandemic, then you should be given palliatives and be paid less,” he added.

Three out of the 21 commissioners in Gombe State, one special adviser and five members of the State House of Assembly have tested positive for COVID-19.

The tests were conducted on the directive of the state governor last week.

The confirmation was made known by the Gombe State commissioner of information, Hon Alhassan Ibrahim Kwami during a press briefing held on Tuesday.

FCT Minister Mohammed Bello disclosed via Twitter on Saturday that the capital state had discharged 30 more people from the isolation centers which brings the total number of discharged patients to 245.

“I bring you good news as we successfully treated and discharged an additional thirty (30), COVID19 patients, from our treatment facilities in the FCT. The total number of discharged patients in the FCT is now 245,” the tweet read.

The Governor of Abia State, Okezie Ikpeazu, has tested positive for COVID-19.

This was made known by the commissioner for information, John Kalu, in a statement on Monday.

“Recall that on Saturday, 30th May, 2020, Governor Okezie Ikpeazu volunteered his sample for COVID-19 test and subsequently directed members of the state Executive Council (EXCO) and those of the inter ministerial committee on COVID-19 to submit themselves for the same test. On Tuesday, 2nd June, 2020. The result of Governor Ikpeazu’s test returned negative. On Thursday, 4th June, 2020, the Governor submitted another sample at NCDC laboratory for confirmation and the result returned positive. As a result, Governor Okezie Ikpeazu has gone into isolation, as required by relevant NCDC protocols, and he is being managed by a competent team of medical practitioners with a view to nursing him back to good health. Consequent on the above, the Governor has directed his Deputy, Rt Hon Ude Oko Chukwu, to act on his behalf pending his full resumption of duties. We wish to urge all Abians to take the fight against COVID-19 serious as the disease is real but not a death sentence. Our state has the resources to manage patients back to good health,” the statement read.

Bauchi deputy governor has tested positive for the raging coronavirus.

According to a statement by the state government, he is perceived to have contracted the virus while working as the chairman of the task force in charge of coronavirus response.

The state’s media official said Baba Tela was in self-isolation and samples from all his contacts have already been taken for testing.

He was said to have been showing symptoms of the virus before his test was confirmed.

The state has confirmed 241 coronavirus cases so far.

553 new COVID-19 infections have been recorded on Saturday making it the highest in 24 hours since the country recorded its index case precisely in February 2020.

According to the daily report released by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, NCDC, Lagos still tops the chart with the highest cases of 378, followed by FCT and Delta State with 52 and 23 cases, respectively. From the report, there were 12 new deaths, bringing the total fatalities to 273.

“553 new cases of #COVID19; Lagos-378, FCT-52, Delta-23 Edo-22, Rivers-14, Ogun-13, Kaduna-12, Kano-9, Borno-7, Katsina-6, Jigawa-5, Oyo-5, Yobe-3, Plateau-3 and Osun-1. “9855 cases of #COVID19 have been recorded in Nigeria and 2856 discharged and 273 fatalities,” NCDC tweeted

The Federal Government disclosed that hotels and school dormitories will be required as quarantine and isolation centres because of a  shortage of hospital beds.

Dr Osagie Ehanire, Minister of Health stated this on Thursday during the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 briefing in Abuja.

He made it known that there were four levels of COVID-19 patients ranging from those on quarantine with zero or mild symptoms to those that would need to be in an intensive care unit.

Ehanire said, “We have sadly recorded 254 deaths, most of them are persons associated with other ailments, confirming the general observation that risks are higher for

We need to continue increasing bed capacity to match the probable number of patients so that we do not experience horrific scenes of bed space shortages seen in some European hospitals.

In event of overflow, we can require hotels and school dormitories to be prepared for level 1 which is quarantine, and level 2, is isolation of COVID-19 positive with zero or mild symptoms, to free hospital beds to be dedicated to level 3 which are moderate to severe cases and level 4 which is for the high dependency and the intensive care unit.

I, therefore, call on activists and philanthropists to work with state governments  to scale up non-pharmaceutical measures and beef up infrastructural assets for isolation and treatment in their states

The Lagos State Ministry of Health has disclosed that 87 patients who were undergoing treatment in Lagos State have been discharged.

This was made known via its official Twitter page.

“87 patients; 40 females,47 males, all Nigerians have been discharged from our isolation facilities to reunite with their families,” the tweet read.

Three months after the first case was confirmed in Nigeria, Kogi state has joined the list of states with coronavirus cases.

The index cases were among the 389 confirmed new cases across the country announced by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) on Wednesday evening on Twitter via is official handle.