Although there has been no confirmed case of coronavirus in Rwanda, authorities in Rwanda’s capital Kigali have prohibited any form of concerts and public gatherings because of fears of the COVID-19.
“The city of Kigali wishes to inform that entertainment shows, social gatherings, trade fairs, exhibitions and other gatherings that assemble many people are officially suspended till further notice,” the Kigali City Council announced in a statement Sunday.
However, the policy does not extend to venues hosting smaller numbers of people; such as wedding venues, churches, hotels, restaurants, bars, and sports clubs, which are told to apply good hygiene practices and supply soaps and water for hand washing.
The first concert that was affected was an International Women’s Day concert, which was to feature the singer Cécile Kayirebwa, the concert was cancelled a few hours before it was supposed to start.
Some residents have turned to social media to approve the preventive move, but others see it as a harsh move to Rwanda since no coronavirus cases have been recorded.
The government has advised its citizens against traveling to countries where coronavirus has been confirmed.
Togo has confirmed its first cases of coronavirus on Friday, bringing the number of countries in sub-Saharan Africa hit by the epidemic to five
Togo reported that a 42 year old Lome resident tested positive the previous day. She had returned from a trip to Benin, Germany , France and Turkey.
Togo president made it known that the woman is in isolation at a treatment center and all people she had contact with have been identified and put in quarantine.
The outbreak has found its way to Africa and is spreading across the continent.
Last month, Nigeria confirmed the first coronavirus in the country after that, Senegal and South Africa. North African countries have registered more than two dozen cases.
In the central African country of Cameroon, the health ministry said a 58-year-old French citizen who arrived in the capital Yaounde on Feb. 24 had fallen ill with the virus. It later said the man’s female partner had also tested positive.
“We need to follow his contacts. Our collaborators are on the ground; they are working,” said Health Minister Manaouda Malachie.
Since the outbreak began in the central Chinese city of Wuhan in December, it has infected over 100,000 people worldwide and killed more than 3,000, mostly in China.