Malawians are angry at their new President Lazarus Chakwera after announcing a 31-member cabinet that included six people who have family ties.
Although they are not related to the president, but the new labour and health ministers are brother and sister. Kenny Kandodo is the Labour Minister while his sister, Khumbize, is the Health Minister. Also, Businessman Gospel Kazako was appointed information minister and his sister-in-law, Agnes Nkusa Nkhoma, named the deputy agriculture minister.
President Chakwera’s cabinet also comprises more than 70% of people from the central region, his political stronghold.
The president had accused his predecessor of nepotism, saying he filled his cabinet with people from his region.
Mr. Chakwera is the former head of the Malawi Assemblies of God, one of the largest Christian denominations in the country. The 65-year-old beat former president Peter Mutharika with 58.5 percent of the vote in last month’s election, marking the first time in African history that an election rerun led to the defeat of an incumbent.
Policemen in Anambra have arrested four suspects connected with the hotel robbery in the state on Sunday night.
The suspects were said to have robbed a hotel in Isuanaocha, Awka North Local Government Area of the state and made away with cash and other valuables. Two female guests of the hotel were also reported to have been raped by the robbers.
Police spokesman Mohammed Haruna, made known in a statement yesterday that the suspects were picked up with the aid of closed-circuit television (CCTV) images.
“Preliminary investigation led to the arrest of four suspects with the aid of a CCTV camera installed by the hotel management,” Haruna stated.
At a Magistrate’s Court sitting in Port Harcourt, the Rivers State capital, four policemen who allegedly tortured a man to death have been arraigned.
The policemen who were identified as; Ayogu Fidelis, Rose Georgewill, Eke Chibuzor and Egbunefu Felix, were all said to be members of Eagle Crack, a special squad, which reportedly killed Chima Ikwunado and inflicted injuries on three other detainees. The command then dismissed them for unprofessional conduct.
The suspects were said to have been arraigned yesterday on a seven-count charge of murder, conspiracy to commit murder, and unlawful assault.
They pleaded not guilty, and Chief Magistrate, Promise Iruanya, who declined to grant them bail, remanded them in a correctional facility, and adjourned the case to September 19 for legal advice.
A total of 11,381.5kg of illegal drugs has been intercepted by the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) in Niger State.
The drugs were said to have been sent by waybill to the owners in different parts of the state and beyond.
The state NDLEA acting commander, Isaac Aloye stated that well over 25 sacks of dried weeds suspected to be cannabis sativa, cocaine, cough syrups, and methamphetamine, among others, were seized. Twelve suspects have been arrested in connection with the seizure.
Ivory Coast’s Prime Minister and the ruling party’s candidate for October’s presidential election, Amadou Gon Coulibaly, is dead.
Coulibaly died on Wednesday afternoon, shortly after he attended a cabinet meeting in the Presidential Palace, President Alassane Ouattara said in a statement.
On Thursday, the late Prime Minister returned from a two-month stay in France where he went for ear exam.
He reportedly was unwell during the weekly meeting and was evacuated to a hospital where he passed away.
“I salute the memory of a statesman, of great loyalty, devotion and love for the homeland. He embodied this young generation of Ivorian leaders of great skill and extreme loyalty to the Nation,” President Ouattara said on Twitter.
Coulibaly is survived by his wife and five children.
The Adamawa state police command has on Wednesday disclosed the arrest of a 42 year old man who was identified as Matthew Joseph for raping and impregnating his 17 years old daughter.
This was contained in a statement signed by the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Suleiman Nguroje and made available to newsmen.
“The Suspect took advantage of the Daughter ( victim) after he divorced her Mother for over a year and has been having sexual intercourse with her until she got pregnant. Investigation so far reveals that the Victim is three months pregnant and is now undergoing Medical screenings, ” the statement read.
24 new cases of coronavirus has been confirmed by The Osun State Government
On Thursday, An official also said 11 others were discharged after testing negative twice on Thursday.
According to a statement made available in Osogbo by the state’s commissioner for health, Rafiu Isamotu, the new cases were detected from contact tracing of previous cases in the Ilesa, Ile Ife and Osogbo areas of the state.
“Lack of strict adherence to safety proto cols and guidelines by our people is one of the main reasons for the sudden rise in our COVID-19 cases.
“But with the sentence of a defaulter to 30 days’ imprisonment, we have shown our resolve to enforce these safety protocols and guidelines.”
He appealed to residents to always observe all the precautionary measures against the spread of the virus
“With the latest development, the number of our active cases as at today, Thursday, July 2, is 87.
“We have 151 confirmed cases, out of which the state has successfully treated and discharged 59 patients while five deaths have been recorded,” the commissioner added.
The coordinator of Defence Media Operations, John Enenche said it is not the duty of The Nigerian Army to expose those sponsoring Boko Haram in the country.
Enenche disclosed this on Thursday at a media briefing. He admitted that the Army knows that some criminal groups have heavy financial backing, but its major task is to fight “terrorism and other criminality”.
He explained that the National Intelligence Agency (NIA) and the Department of State Services (DSS) were responsible for revealing the sponsors.
It is not the duty of the military to uncover the sponsors.
Our duty is to remain in the frontline and defeat terrorism and other criminality and that is what we are doing.
We have the National Intelligence Agency (NIA) and the Department of State Security (DSS). It is their responsibility to gather intelligence on the sponsors of the terrorists and not the military,” Enenche maintained.
On Tuesday, the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19 disclosed that there was no plan on ground yet for the reopening of tertiary institutions.
National Coordinator of PTF, Dr. Sani Aliyu, disclosed the information in a radio interview, said the PTF is, at the moment.
“Currently, there’s no plan to reopen tertiary institutions. Our plan at the moment is to ensure that we contain the spread of this disease and ensure that we are in the state where normal socioeconomic activities would be restored. We know that schools, together with restaurants, bars and other entrainment activities could encourage community transmission of the dreaded coronavirus, hence the reason why we were not in hurry to reopen them. But, however, we have taken pragmatic measures to ensure we do not loose a whole year in terms of primary to secondary school transition, hence the President’s approval for schools to reopen so that exiting students could return to school and write their examinations some of which are regional. Summarily, there is no plan to reopen tertiary institutions until we get to the top of the numbers, and also see clearly that we are making significant progress in terms of flattening the curve,” he stated.
While briefing news men on the recent development in the State, where the EFCC sealed off some property purported to belong to a highly placed politician in the State. The Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice in Abia State, Chief Uche Ihediwa demanded the EFCC to tender an unreserved apology to the State within seven days in view of the inconvenience its action has caused the State, failure of which the State would take appropriate redress in court.
Explaining that those assets marked by the EFCC belong to the State government, also that Abia government duly entered into partnership arrangements with credible investors for the development of those properties under public private partnerships while the reversionary interest in the properties still resides in the State government.
On Monday, Rwanda authorities reported 101 new confirmed COVID-19 cases over the past 24 hours, the single-day record increase of more than 100 cases in the country.
The new cases brought the total number of cases in the country to 1,001.
Seventy-two new cases were from a cluster in a detention center in Ngoma district in eastern Rwanda, 22 cases were reported in the capital city Kigali, three in the district of Rusizi, and two in Rubavu.
The Kayonza and Kirehe districts in the east each had one case.
Workers in the Edo state COVID-19 response team on Tuesday protested against the termination of their appointment by the State Government as well as the non-payment of their two months allowance.
The protesters blocked the entrance gate to the office of the Hospital Management Board, HMB, in Benin City, the state capital.
One of the leaders of the protesters, Ojeme Emmanuel said some of them have only collected staggered days stipends for the number of days worked for in the month of April. He said none of the workers has collected the full month as earlier promised by the state government representatives.
‘Bros they agreed to pay us 3,000 per day which amounts to #90,000 per month but none of us here have ever received such an amount of money as stipends. What we have in Edo as a government is a funny one, you can imagine a government that does not want to pay those who worked for them. We had over four of our colleagues right inside the isolation centre. The COVID-19 response team faced a lot of dangers. The government said they have spent over one billion naira on COVID-19 but are unable to pay those that actually did the job”.
When contacted, the State Commissioner for Health Dr Patrick Okundia said he would have to meet the Deputy Governor of the state and the representative of the team before he can respond.
On Wednesday morning, gunmen attacked the Federal Medical Centre (FMC) in Lokoja, Kogi State, carting away computers and other sensitive materials from the administrative department of the health institution.
It was learnt that the thugs had scared the doctors and nurses on duty before destroying items worth millions of naira and carting away with laptops and phones of staffers and patients. It was also stated that they took away vital documents as well.
One of the health workers who spoke off-camera explained that their union had earlier intended to stage a protest over lack of Personal Protective Equipment against COVID-19.
However, an eyewitness had a different opinion, stating that the attack was carried out by angry relatives of a woman in labour who was reportedly denied by medical personnel at the hospital.