To prevent the spread of Ebola in Burundi, the European Union is granting E465,000 to the country.
Concerns have grown over the potential spreading of the disease to neighboring countries such as Burundi, Rwanda, South Sudan and Uganda. Thus the funding is to help with the prevention of Ebola crossing borders.
Since 2018 the EU has issued E47m to the Democratic Republic of Congo for Ebola treatment and humanitarian support to fight the deadly disease where 1,900 people have died.
The new funding will be given through the World Health Organisation.
Wednesday, August 21, Leaders of Rwanda, Paul Kagame and Uganda, Yoweri Museveni endorsed an agreement in Angola to end disputes.
These two leaders were known to be close allies until their relationship went sour and turned deeply hostile in a dispute that destroyed the trade between the two countries.
The signing occurred in Luanda, the capital of Angola. It was witnessed by Angola’s president Joao Lourenco, President of Democratic of Congo Felix Tshsekedi and Republic of Congo’s President Denis Sassou Nguesso.
Trade had been severely interrupted since February when Rwanda suddenly closed the border that joins the countries together.
In May, Uganda police accused Rwanda soldiers of entering the country and killing two of their men. Rwandan soldiers denied the accusation.
Rwanda on the other hand publicly accused Uganda of abducting its citizens and supporting rebels to overthrow its government.
The Angolan president said the two signing the document shows ” willingness to overcome conflict”.
The United States government has granted an additional $75 million to the fight against HIV/AIDS in Nigeria.
US Ambassador to Nigeria, Stuart Symington added that this new development will help in making antiretroviral available. Thus making peoples lives living with the virus more healthy and meaningful.
“The United States remains committed to supporting Nigeria as it works to reduce and ultimately eliminate the scourge of HIV/AIDS among its people.”
On the other hand, the fund which will be disbursed through US President’s Emergency for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) HIV funds is dependent upon the Nigerian Federal and State government eliminating or reducing financial barriers to HIV/AIDS patient.
This is to
ensure that people living with HIV who have not been benefiting from the previous
fund given through PEPFAR have access to treatment and treatment for those who
are already enjoying the treatment should continue.
Although about $4.7 billion in the past fourteen years to fight HIV/AIDS in Nigeria hence the addition until a cure is found.
Monday, August 19 marks the beginning of the former Sudan President El-Bashir’s corruption trial.
Bashir who was ousted in April after months of protest.This put an end to his almost thirty years rule over Sudan.
He appeared in court today dressed in white robes and a turban.
At the beginning of the trial, Bashir confirmed his name and laughed when he was asked about his residential address, which he later gave as “formally airport district at army headquarters but now Kobar prison.”
Bashir was accused in court by the police investigator Ahmed Ali Mohammed of admitting to having received $25m from Saudi Arabia’s crown prince Mohammed Bin Salman.
Charges are for the possessing of foreign currency, corruption, receiving of gifts illegally and the killing of protesters.
investigator claimed Bashir said he received two previous payment of $35m and $30m
from Saudi Arabia’s formal king Abdullahi who died in 2015.
Sudan Military ruler, General Abdulfattah al-Burhan in April confirmed that over $113m (E93) worth of cash in Sudanese pounds and foreign currency was found in Bashir’s apartment.
“ This money
was not part of the state budget and I was the one who authorized its spending”.
Ali quoted al-Bashir.
Al-Bashir told the investigator that the Saudi money was exchanged and spent but he could not give details on how it was spent and also does not have the documents to back up his statement.
was initially scheduled to start in July but was postponed for security
The body of twenty-one-year-old Isreali student Aya Na’amneh, who was declared missing about 24 hours ago has been found in the Ethiopian desert after a thorough search operation on Sunday, August 18.
Na’amneh was part of a group of students of Haifa’s Technion Institute of Technology who were visiting the African country. The Ethiopian desert is currently considered one of the hottest places on earth, where temperatures spike.
Apparently she split up from the group but failed to arrive at the meeting point and she was thereafter declared missing.
Upon the news of her disappearance, teams from Magnus International Search and Rescue. together with the local police, and military forces started looking for her and found her body on Sunday.
Reports say Na’amneh fell to her death unexpectedly. Her family has been informed of her passing and the Foreign Ministry have begun arrangements to take her back to Israel for burial.
On Sunday, August 18th the United Nations stated a civilian airport in western Libya had been seriously damaged with airstrikes by East Libyan forces.
The Eastern-based Libya National Army (LNA) force claimed responsibility for bombing the airport of Zuwara twice last week, aiming hangars used by Turkish drones.
The attacks come as part of a campaign to try to take Tripoli held by the internationally recognised government. The Libya National Army is commanded by Khalifa Haftar allied to parallel government in the east.
” The Mission confirmed that the condemnation of the attacks conducted by the LNA forces against Zuwara airport, which cause serious damage as runway had been damaged.”
Since it’s ground campaign failed to make it beyond southern suburbs of Libyan capital, the LNA has resorted to increasing airstrikes against Tripoli airport.
The Tripoli forces had been supplied with drones by Turkey, with trucks to match military support by Egypt and the United Arab Emirates for the LNA.
Since 2011, after the toppling of Muammar Gaddafi, conflict and chaos have been a constant part of Libya.
One of the youngest Nigerian Billionaires, Obinwanne Okeke, the Chief Officer of the Invictus Group has been arrested by the FBI over conspiracy to commit computer fraud and wire fraud.
He was allegedly accused of conspiring with some other people to commit wire fraud of $11 million dollars after an account of the CEO of Unatrac Holding Limited, a steel company, was hacked.
The following accounts confirmed the story on their twitter accounts and also as you can see below, there is an affidavit signed by a Special Agent of the FBI Marshall Ward for more detailed information.
Friday, August 16th- The Libyan airport in the main southern city of Sebha that has been closed since January 2014 due to security reasons is now finally reopened.
Our source confirmed that a commercial flight has already landed from the main eastern city of Benghazi in Sebha airport.
Since the toppling of Muammar Gaddafi in 2011, South Libya have experienced worse insecurity and conflict than other North African Countries.
At least ninety people have been killed and six thousand five hundred have been displaced since fight broke out between different tribes in August in Murzug town to the west of Sebha. Said United Nations.
Super Eagles Player and Coach, Samson Siasia has been banned from the World football governing body, FIFA for life.
The adjudicatory chamber of the independent Ethics Committee said in a statement issued on Friday, that Siasia was found guilty of having received bribes to manipulate matches.
FIFA found he had breached 2009 edition of FIFA code of Ethics and thereby banned him for life on all football-related activities, in both Nigeria and outside the country.
He was also fined CHF 50,000.
The body statement reads: ” The formal ethics proceedings against Mr Siasia were initiated on 11 February 2019 and stem from an extensive investigation into matches that Mr Wilson Raj Perumal attempted to manipulate for betting purposes”.
Siasia was a Nigerian coach between the years 2010 – 2011, and won the 1994 African Cup of Nation with Nigeria.
He is now the second Nigerian to be banned by FIFA for bribery.
Wednesday, August 14, the Nigerian Army announced the start of recruitment into the military force for interested Nigerians.
The announcement was made through the forces’ Twitter and Facebook, adding that the portal is officially opened for candidates.
Applicants are to do only one application.
The portal was officially opened on Wednesday, August 14 and will last until September 28 2019.
According to Brigadier General Gabriel Ochigbano, Acting Military Secretary (Army) the application is free and any applicant can apply online through the force portal.
Applicants are expected to print out their online generated photo-slip upon completion of their application.
” The first page is to be signed by the Registrar of Court of Law while the second page is to be signed by the applicants’ Local Government Chairman/Secretary or any Military Officer of the rank of Lieutenant Colonel or equivalent and above who hails from his/her state”. Said Ochigbano.