Portugal’s public prosecutor announced on Tuesday that it had ordered the seizure of Portuguese bank accounts belonging to Isabel dos Santos, who is a suspect in a fraud investigation in Angola.
“The public prosecutor’s office requested the seizure of bank accounts (belonging to Isabel dos Santos) as part of a request for international judicial cooperation by the Angolan authorities,” a spokeswoman for the prosecutor’s office said.
Last month, Angola named dos Santos a formal suspect over allegations of mismanagement and misappropriation of funds during her time as chairwoman of state oil company Sonangol. Dos Santos has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing.
Angolan authorities froze her assets in the African country in December. A banking source familiar with the case told Reuters that accounts held by dos Santos were seized at Millennium BCP (BCP.LS), Portugal’s largest listed bank.
Another banking source said accounts were seized at small Portuguese bank EuroBic, in which the businesswoman until recently held a 42.5% stake. Spanish bank Abanca said on Monday it had agreed to buy 95% of EuroBic shares.